The State government has sought an assistance of Rs. 831.10 crore as flood relief assistance from the Centre.

The State Disaster Management Authority on Saturday presented before the visiting Central delegation led by Union Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju a detailed report on the widespread destruction caused by the recent spate of floods across Kerala. The request for flood relief assistance was also submitted to the delegation.

The State Disaster Management Authority’s assessment is that a total of 55,007 hectares of agricultural land has been submerged. The season saw 20% excess rain and compensation is due to those whose houses suffered damage and crops were destroyed. In all, 116 people had died in monsoon fury. Some 965 villages bore the brunt of the incessant rain.

Mr. Rijiju and Union Minister of State for Tourism K.J. Alphons held discussions with officials at the Nedumbassery international airport after calling off their planned visit to flood-battered Chellanam in west Kochi in the evening.

Agriculture Minister V.S. Sunil Kumar and Chief Secretary Tom Jose accompanied the Central delegation.

Central decision soon

Mr. Rijiju later told reporters that a decision on Central assistance from the disaster management fund would be taken soon. Measures would soon to be taken to reinforce the team of NDRF personnel in flood-affected areas as requested by the State. Right now, four NDRF teams with 47 personnel were at work in different parts of the State, he said.

Meanwhile, a Southern Naval Command (SNC) spokesperson said as requested by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan and in view of the the widespread inundation and waterlogging at different places due to the vigorous monsoon, the SNC despatched five teams with disaster relief gear to Alappuzha to assist the civil administration in disaster relief operations.

Each team had five members and was equipped with inflatable gemini boats and other necessary items including diving sets. The SNC had also offered assistance with food and medical services, if required, by the civil administration.

Source: Read Full Article