Coronation Street star Craig Charles is “lucky to be alive” after he and his family managed to wake up in time after a horrifying fire started to sweep through the house.

The 57 year old actor, who starred as Lloyd Mullaney on the ITV soap from 2005 until 2015, explained the devastating accident that saw one wall in his house go up in flames, revealing it was down to a Christmas decoration garland.

Luckily, the presenter, his wife and children were all saved by a smoke alarm, as they managed to grab buckets of water and put the blaze out just in time.

"I’m actually going to share this because it has been on my mind while doing the show,” the comic shared on his early afternoon playlist on BBC6 Music.

"Last night or early this morning my life got saved by a smoke alarm. In fact my whole family’s life got saved by a smoke alarm so be careful with your candles.

"What happened was…in my dream someone had left the fridge door open and when the fridge door is open for too long it starts beeping and that’s why I was kicking off in my dream.

"Then I heard one of my daughters shouting ‘Dad, Dad, the smoke alarm is going off’.

“We got up, we went down and we have like a garland above the mantlepiece of twigs and berries and holly and a candle,” Craig continued. “I think it’s probably me who should of blown the candle out, I’m not sure but I’m taking the blame anyway, had set fire to the garland which had set fire to the wallpaper on the fireplace.

"We’ve got this oval leather mirror and the leather had obviously been stretched over a plastic frame because the frame was blazing really hot. You couldn’t see anything. There was smoke everywhere.”

The comedian went on to say that while the “whole wall needs redoing” in their family home, and the “ceiling is black with soot,” things could have been so much worse.

“The main front room of the house just smells of acrid plastic smoke so get yourself a smoke alarm and be careful with your candles,” the presenter said, adding that the traumatic experience was “so frightening”.

"I’m glad I got that off my chest,” Craig added, congratulating his daughter for telling the rest of the family. “It has been on my mind all day."

The star also shared a haunting image of the area of his property completely ravaged by the flames, as the sad sight pictured red and green baubles lay sparkling amid the carnage.

“My daughter Aj has managed to turn our house fire the other night into a work of art,” the former Red Dwarf icon tweeted his followers.

“Still feel incredibly lucky,” he said.

For all your latest updates on Corrie actors, sign up to OK!'s daily newsletter.

Source: Read Full Article