An FIR was registered on Monday against Brajesh Thakur, accused in the Muzaffarpur shelter home rape case, after 11 women were reported missing from another shelter home run by his NGO in the same town.

Brajesh Thakur was the main accused in the rape case involving 34 girl inmates of a shelter home in Muzaffarpur managed by his NGO Sewa Sankalp Evam Vikas Samiti.

Assistant director in the Social Welfare department, Divesh Sharma, filed the fresh case at the women’s police station on Monday evening. He had lodged the complaint in the rape case as well, in the same police station on May 31 on the basis of an audit report by the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS).

Sewa Sankalp Evam Vikas Samiti runs five shelter and short-stay homes — three in Muzaffarpur and one each in Sitamarhi and Bettiah districts. After the rape case surfaced, the Social Welfare department had blacklisted the NGO and was reviewing the conditions at shelter homes run by it. “It was during the review that 11 women were found missing from another shelter home in Chhoti Kalyani area… there had been no communication from the NGO to the department about the missing women,” Mr. Sharma told local journalists.

Department officials, preferring anonymity, told
The Hindu
that Brajesh Thakur had access to senior officials of the department and top political connections that helped him net contracts for social services in north Bihar. The department had even approved a project for a beggars’ shelter in Patna on May 31, the day the FIR was lodged against him in the shelter home rape case.

Source: Read Full Article