A gaur was electrocuted when it came into contact with a low-hanging live electric line near Mankarai in Coimbatore on Monday.

The male gaur, aged around 10, was found dead on the hill road connecting Anaikatti – Agali main road to Dhumanur and Sembukkarai tribal settlements.

Forest Department officials were alerted about the gaur by the residents of the tribal settlements.

“The electric line was running close to the elevated terrain of the hilly road from where the animal had jumped on to the tarmac. The animal had come into contact with the live wire and electrocuted,” said S. Suresh, Forest Range Officer, Coimbatore Forest Range. The carcass was buried inside the forest after autopsy. Mr. Suresh said that Tangedco officials have been informed about the electric line.

Source: Read Full Article